Thursday, January 27, 2011

SURGERY AND FIRE ALARMS


My Dad had surgery yesterday to remove melanoma from his back. They also did a biopsy on his lymph nodes under his arms, but we won't know the results of that until next week.


I stayed with my Mom while, my sister took Dad to the hospital (6:00 a.m.). He had the surgery around 8:45 a.m. and was in  recovery around 10:00 a.m. Dad was very upset that he had to take his wedding ring off, stating, "I haven't taken this off in 64 years." He was very slow in coming out of the anesthesia: dizzy and disorientated, so they had to keep him at the hospital until around 6:30 last night. When he got back home and hugged my mom they were very cute, telling each other how they had "missed" each other. 


My sister told me that while my Dad was in recovery the fire alarms started going off and the 20 or so people in the waiting area got up and left, but she decided that since they weren't evacuating the recovery patients she wasn't going anywhere. When one of the hospital personnel told her she would have to leave she told them, "Not unless my Dad is coming with me." The person left and over a 40 minute period the alarm stopped and went off and stopped again and she continued to sit there and read. Eventually people started to stream back in to the waiting area and one of them asked her when she got the word to come back and she told them she never left. 

No comments: