Sunday, December 26, 2010

SUNDAY INSPIRATION


 My soul magnifies the Lord. Luke 1:46

"Words of faith do not originate from a vacuum. What spills out during the times when I am stretched to my limit reflects the kind of faith I have cultivated previously. A well known bible teacher said, "Who I am when hard times hit is really who I am." True! The words I speak during my most painful moments are a mirror that reflects the foundation of my life.


Hannah endured the scourge of barrenness and when she was finally touched by the divine hand of God, she delivered a famous discourse that spanned a dozen verses. It is one of the most prophetic words in all of scripture.


Elizabeth also suffered the heartache of being childless, yet through it, she also cultivated her faith. She learned the Word of God, built the precepts of it into the fabric of her life, and when God visited her with a child in her old age, she also rose to prophesy. (And, she was the first to recognize the Messiah, though just a 3 month-old baby in Mary's womb!)


Eloquence is not confined to adults. Mary was merely a teenager when she was visited by an angel. Given a task that would have crushed most grownups, she also rose up to deliver the famous Magnificat. The fact that such words could flow from a twelve year old is an indication that her childhood was also spent learning the scriptures. She didn't just speak shallow words of praise. She also highlighted the 'ways of God' that could only be known by one who had reviewed God's dealings with His people throughout Israel's history.


Human nature wants to coast during the good times, only drawing close to God when the fires of adversity get hot. God is gracious and will certainly answer us whenever we cry out for help, but there is a better way. I can fortify my heart today by the choices I make with my time. If I make sure to feed my spirit through careful study of the Word of God, through listening prayer, through deliberate searching of God's heart in matters great and small, I create a storehouse of spiritual food that will serve me well when there's famine. When hunger and thirst visit my front door, I will not be shocked to hear hopeless and fearful words come out of my mouth. What spills out will be the sweet waters of faith."

By Christine Wyrtzen

No comments: