Thursday, October 1, 2009

WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT ADOPTION

GROWING IN MY HEART had an adoption carnival recently.

The question: What did people forget to tell you about adoption? What did they omit or conveniently not tell you before you adopted or relinquished your child?

Here is what I did not know about adoption:

* how much l would miss sleeping
* that the minute I met "K." my nervousness about open adoption would disappear
* that my family was terrified for me until the relinquishment papers were signed
* how my sister and I would grow closer because I needed her advice and help so much
* how annoyed I would be by people saying, "How wonderful you are for adopting him."
* how it's possible that Samuel becomes cuter every day
* how my mother would be OVER THE MOON in love with Samuel
* how a chid is a child is a child....I don't have to parent differently because he's adopted
* there are so many children that still need a forever home and the cost, paperwork and burocracy makes these kids sit in foster care or orphanages for WAY too long.
* that I would do it all again in a heartbeat
* how God would bless my life and fill my soul
* I still don't know why I can't get pregnant, but now it doesn't matter.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Neat list, Tracey. Some things I didn't know before. But I'd have to chime in...I too was holding my breath yhe whole time until yhe papers were signed.