Sunday, August 30, 2009

ADOPTION ROUNDTABLE...What's in a name?

Heather at PRODUCTION NOT REPRODUCTION is hosting her next ADOPTION ROUNDTABLE.

The writing prompt for this week is:

Write about names/naming and open adoption.

Richard and I had chosen a boy's name long before Samuel was ever even thought of.

Richard and I had been discussing names for quite awhile and we couldn't find one that we both really loved. Then while attending a Bible study class together, we came across this:

"...And she made a vow, saying, "O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the LORD for all the days of his life..." 1 Samuel 1:11

"...I was pouring out my soul to the LORD..." 1Samuel 1:15

"...the LORD remembered her..." 1Samuel 1:19

"...She named him Samuel, saying, "Because I asked the LORD for him...."1Samuel 1:20

"...I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 1 Samuel 1:27

"...So now I give him to the LORD..." 1Samuel1:28

God spoke our son's name that day. From that day forward we knew that if we had a son, God had already named him, Samuel.

The middle name was easy too. I always knew that whatever we chose for a first name it had to go with my father's middle name, Henry.

We had a harder time coming up with a girl's name.

We spent a lot of money, time and anguish trying to get pregnant on our own. Finally, in November of 2007, we (me) had had enough and we decided, God must not want us to have children. Within days family stepped forward and said that if we wanted to adopt, they would help and we together could make it happen. It hit me..."IS ANYTHING TOO HARD FOR THE LORD?" Then we found the exact passage from the Bible.

"...Then the LORD said, "I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son." Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" Then the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the LORD?..." Genesis 18:10-14

We then realized that, again, God had decided what the name of our daughter would be. She would be called Sarah.

The middle name was little harder. We were thinking of Lapaige which was my grandmothers maiden name. Then we met "K" and decided that if our little one was a girl the middle name would be "K" too.

2 comments:

M de P said...

Amazing story! We had thought of little A's name long before she arrived as well.

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Great Blog:)