Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How to deal with a crappy neighbor...Part 2


For those of you that gave me advice...THANKS...I didn't leave the note and my dear husband, knowing that I hate conflict and probably wouldn't deal with this well said he would speak with her.

...if you haven't read part one read this first.

In the past week Richard has gone to her front door, (By the way the bell button is gone and there are only 2 wires showing.) knocked and called her name, but hasn't got any answer (He can hear the tv on inside.). Anyway...I tracked down a phone number on her (from the mean note from last year...yes I kept it.) and my husband was planning to call her.

Then last night as he got home from work (8:30 pm) he sees her standing in her driveway with another neighbor from up the street, with their three dogs. So, he stops and chats about the dogs and then brings up the fence (smart cookie doing it in front of other neighbor).

Richard: I've noticed the fence is very loose. There's about a foot of wiggle room in the main support post and I'm nervous it may fall.

Lady: These fences aren't strong like the one I had in California. We've put a couple brackets on it.

Richard: I was wondering if your son could help me fix it some day soon?

Lady: My son only has Sunday's off.

Richard: Great! So do I.

Lady: There are a few boards on your side that we can't fix.

Richard: I'd be glad to help him work on that. I'll talk to him about it and we'll set up a Sunday soon, to take care of it.

Then he continued the small talk for a little bit and then excused himself and came in the house. He said he could tell she was not taking any responsibility for the fact that her two 80-100 pound dogs (see picture above) jumping on it continuously have loosened it. Anyway, it's a step in the right direction.

Saga...to be continued....God, give me strength!

7 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

Your husband is smooooooth! Those men are so good at being diplomatic aren't they. Thank God for my husband...he keeps my un-diplomaticness (yes, I know that's not a word =) ) In check! Good luck!

Happy said...

Sounds like a tiny bit of progress was made. Good luck!

Paula V said...

How awful. Though the fence divides your properties, who technically "owns" it? I'm assuming it is part of her ownership since if it were yours, you'd just deal with it. But sounds like it is hers and you are being respectful of her property yet offering assistance since it "effects" you.

I noticed the last time I mowed that my neighbor's tree limb is getting low as it grows. I dread it but I plan to go as them if I can just nip that little limb. It's almost so low, I have to duck to mow.

That's the bad part about being so close with neighbors and trees and fences impeeding onto our lots.

Ugg! Continue to keep a Christian attitude and Christ-like heart and with time we can pray this will be resolved. You never know what problems she has in her life and this incidence could be your way into HER HEART. If she sees and feels your love and compassion in the midst of her bitterness...you just never know what the Lord will do with that!
Blessings,
Paula

Bri said...

He did a good job! Bravo! We'll see what comes of it!

Heather said...

Wow! Sorry to hear you have to deal with neighbors like that.

Jackie said...

Oh, man. I would have totally sent my hubby over too....not my favorite kind of thing to deal with. Good job, Richard! :)

Momma Val said...

I have crappy neighbors too. I feel your pain (in the butt). Good luck!