Friday, March 16, 2018

A NEW CRAFT.....FELTING

I've found a new craft. FELTING!
This was my first attempt.
To explain a little farther: Lay a clean piece of felt on top of a piece of foam (so the needle won't go through and poke you).
Then using wool roving.... wool that has been cleaned and dyed....


and a felting needle....a very sharp barbed needle. I use this.....


or one of these.....
You pull off pieces of the wool and layer it on the felt. Then poke the wool into the felt.

Lorraine Cathey gives a good explanation of the process, although, I only to dry felting not wet felting.


Here are examples of my work:
These are only my first few attempts. I love it.

I'm not interested in dying my own wool or the time consuming wet felting part. The only expensive piece is the wool roving. My local craft stores don't carry much of the wool roving, so I buy mine from Amazon, but I've been told in the spring, there are farms that raise their own sheep, that sell wool roving for a lot cheaper. So, I now plan to investigate this part further.

No comments: