Joyce Meyer. My sister, Karen, first introduced me to her when we read Battlefield of the Mind together. I truly believe that if it hadn't been for reading that book I would not have handled the death of my father as well as I did. I am much closer to God and feel it has made an amazingly positive impact on my life and how I feel about life.
Now I listen to her shows almost every day. I like them because they are packed with loads of inspiring information in only 28 minutes. I would love to attend one of her weekend conferences one day.
I lean toward being a very judgmental, negative and pessimistic person. I don't like this about myself and I want to change it.
Joyce says, "I'm not where I need to be, but thank God, I'm not where I used to be. I haven't arrived, but I'm on my way."
She and I have very similar personalities. I connect with almost everything (I was not abused as a child.) she says about her life, feelings and attitudes. I hear God speaking to me through her.
I was raised Catholic, but now call myself a Christian (A different post for a different time.). I love when Joyce says, "Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so you could have a relationship with God though Him." RELIGION has turned a lot of people (me included) off to God. Relationship is what I want and I am continuing to grow to find more of.
Note: Two things she talks about that I do not agree with are: she believes in speaking in tongues and she doesn't believe in the evolution of man. The "speaking in tongues" part is just a little too strange to me and we'll drop that there. As far as evolutionism and creationism goes...I have no problem embracing the evolution of man, while still being a Christian. God thought of everything else, why not that.
Anyway....I've just started reading her new book, POWER THOUGHTS. Every page has something that touches me, reaches a new part of me and makes me think a little deeper.
Here are some things, so far, that have made me think:
* "God always rewards openly what we do in secret for His honor and glory."
* "All of us have the privilege and responsibility of choosing our attitudes, no matter what circumstances or situations we find ourselves in."
* "It is vital for you to understand that you can choose your own thinking."
* "Determine beforehand that you'll keep a positive attitude in the midst of every negative situation."
* "Misery will always be an option."
* "God uses trials and pressure to produce good results in our lives."
* "Focus on doing what we can do and trust in God to do what we cannot do."
* "Thinking excessively about problems only makes them appear to be larger than they really are."
* "A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of allowing your circumstances to have power over you."