Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I'M IN TROUBLE FOR WHAT?


 Recently in our staff newsletter it said this..."Pink Slips are NOT to be given for situations that occur in the classroom. If situations are occurring in your classroom that require a consequence let’s set up a conference with parent and child and address the situation directly." What I hear in this is....don't deal with the behavior immediately, but delay it until we can set up a meeting.

Yah, right!? Because waiting a week to discipline a kid always works better then right away.

By the way, the definition for DIRECTLY: immediately, instantly, straightaway, straight off, now, right away, at once, forthwith, like a shot 

I don't know about other teachers out there, but I try to deal with most situations on my own and only get the office involved if ABSOLUTELY necessary. I am the authority figure that the kids should be listening to while they are in my classroom and if they know I have NO power, watch out.

I also find if strange that the discipline slip has a location of "classroom" on it and a major consequence of "lying" and "defiance." Another step that takes power away from the teacher....why, exactly, should these kids listen to me?

NOTE: They are called pink slips because they are three-ply and the one the parents see is pink. The top sheet is white, which goes to the office and the second sheet is yellow, which stays with the teacher. 

No comments: