Tuesday, September 7, 2010

FOR ME IT IS VERY SIMPLE!

My family already knows this, but I am not a political person. In fact...it all BORES me to death. Don't get me wrong...I love American, I vote, I know why I am voting for who I am voting for, but please don't ask me the ins and outs of it all. I'll tell you my answer on most political questions is, "I DON'T KNOW!"

I'll even tell you that I am a registered INDEPENDENT because I do not want to feel like I have to vote for one side or the other. Sometimes I like the Democrats and sometimes I like the Republicans. Sorry!

I am not going to get into my political views and opinions right now. That's for another post.

What I do want to discuss is the new law that Arizona's governor, Jan Brewer signed into law....that prohibits the harboring of illegal aliens and makes it a state crime for an alien to commit certain federal immigration crimes. It also requires police officers who, in the course of a traffic stop or other law-enforcement action, come to a “reasonable suspicion” that a person is an illegal alien verify the person’s immigration status with the federal government.

I don't understand why legal Americans are so opposed to this. From what I understand, (1) IT'S ILLEGAL FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS TO BE IN THE COUNTRY ILLEGALLY and (2) the police can ask you to proof that you are a legal citizen and if you can't, they can hold you until you can.

I know because the state of Arizona passed it that everyone thinks that Mexicans are the target...I get it, but no matter what state passed it, it would either offend Mexico or Canada...we are only bordered by two other countries, folks....but I want to speak more to the general idea of the law.

(1) I get that we have a GREAT COUNTRY and that is why so many people want to come live here, but I am sorry, you have to do it legally. There are too many people that are milking the system, and terrorism is too scary to mess around with. We have to be tough to be safe.

(2) The law says, “reasonable suspicion” ... yes, there will be some people that are treated unfairly and I think this is horrible wrong, BUT, if we can prevent another 9/11, I am all for it. X-ray my body, ask me all the questions you want, have me carry every identification known to man....but guess what...I'm not carrying any weapons, my record will come back clean and my ID's are legit.

So, for me it comes down to this....if you are from ANY OTHER COUNTRY: Algeria, Belgium, China, Denmark, Egypt....all the way down to Zimbabwe, I welcome you with open arms....IF....you have a visa or a passport, aren't here illegally, aren't carrying weapons of any kind, mean me no harm and can prove who you are.

2 comments:

Bri said...

As a person from Arizona who supports SB1070, I think this is a great post. I just wanted to add one thing about your point that some people will be treated unfairly. That is still the case now. SB1070 or not, there are and always will be officers of the law that do not follow it. It is unfortunate, but it is not a product of SB 1070.

Unknown said...

I agree with the law. The idea is sound, the people are flawed.