Monday, February 1, 2010

MY STUDENTS LOVE TO FREEWRITE


Free writing is a simple process:

1. Write nonstop for a set period of time (10–20 minutes).
2. Do not make corrections as you write.
3. Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, "I don't know what to write."
4. Write whatever comes into your mind.
5. Do not judge or censor what you are writing.

Free writing has these benefits:

1. It makes you more comfortable with the act of writing.
2. It helps you bypass the "inner critic" who tells you you can't write.
3. It can be a valve to release inner tensions.
4. It can help you discover things to write about.
5. It can indirectly improve your formal writing.
6. It can be fun.

An Example of Free Writing

well I'm sitting here at the key board and I really don't know what to write about it is too chilly out today after we complained all summe about it being too hot - remind myself not to correct errors it's second nature to go back and change mistales mabee i should have written this example in long hand but then i 'd have to translate my hadnwriting this morning and you need a quiet place becuse you get distracted sometimes the kids write down things they hear in the room, the bell, the announcemnts and it makes them laugh and the purposely write in funny random things like I hear bacon or I think my friend is hot and then they all laugh but it gets them to write and they like to write fast and like that they dont have to write on a cetain topic and somethings i give them a topic to focus on but its ok if they get off topic too like wtie everthing you know about dogs and at least its not a page of i don't know what to write i modeled it for my kids and had them time me and they liked to read what i was writing and then realized it wasn't that hard


No comments: