Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWO SENSE TUESDAYS #21...Rude children

Being a new mother I seem to get a lot of advice, which can be helpful, but is also very frustrating when it's from people who are insistent that their way is the BEST way. I also get advice (because I'm an adoptive mother) from those who think that my son is just a stand-in until I get "the real thing."

Each week I will post a new question. I'd love it if you'd play along and offer us new mothers your pearls of wisdom.

HERE IS THIS WEEK'S QUESTION:

How do you deal with other people's rude children? Do you say something or ignore the behavior? How do you deal with your own children when they're rude and you're in public?

4 comments:

KLTTX said...

I usually just ignore it or whisper something about the rude kids to my husband. If they are really being loud or distracting and I can't watch or focus on what I need to be doing and they are old enough, I have asked them to hold it down or move away from me.

My oldest DS is 6 and if he misbehaves in public I usually put a stop to it pretty quickly. If he does not listen I make him sit by me instead of having fun. He knows how to behave and I expect him to do so.

Ashley said...

Rude children drive me crazy. I know that even the best parents can't tame their misbehaving and disrespectful kids but I can't stand it when they don't TRY to.

Connie said...

I think a word from someone other than the parent is sometimes needed, so I'll say something if the behaviour is bad enough. This may be why kids think I'm a grouch ;-)

I can't find my blog said...

I usually give the offenders (mine or others,) THE LOOK first. Then I say something. After volunteering with my kids' sports and school activities for so long most kids know that Mrs. Headless means business. I'll even call out the kid in Costco riding Heelys (I hate those things!)I really don't tolerate rude/misbehaving children. I do it respectfully, but in a tone that says that I mean business.