Monday, March 16, 2009

Homemade Picture Board...and it's cute too!

Look what my mom and I made on Saturday. It took us less then an hour.

First, I have to apologize for not being able to show you pictures of the step-by-step on how to make this, but I only planned on picking up the materials that day. Then after shopping, we went back to my mom's and Samuel ate and fell asleep, so we decided to do it then and I hadn't brought my camera.                      
        
Anyway, the inspiration for this came from this site, where I found this picture and a price of $39.00, not including shipping.

I immediately liked the idea, but not the price and realized I could make one myself for much cheaper. My mom offered to give me the supplies as a gift, so off to our local cloth store we went.

We bought a yard of fabric, a spool of ribbon, fancy push pins and thin batting, all for about $14.00. I bought a cork board at WalMart for about $7.00 as the base. After I was done, I realized I could have used a piece of plywood, which would have made the project even cheaper.

We put the cloth down first, then the batting and then the cork board. We pulled everything tight, working on one corner at a time and my dad used his staple gun to secure it to the cork board.


Then we turned it over and measured each side, laying out the ribbon so it would look even, secured the ribbon to the back, again with the staple gun (Thanks, Dad.), and then hammered in these fancy push pins in the spots where the ribbon crossed.


Here is the finished project. I think it's great! I like this idea because the pictures are much easier to switch out then normal frames and any size pictures will fit, so you save money on having to buy different size frames. I still have to have my husband put on a picture hanger and then it will go on the wall.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh that is sooo cute! I'm really going to try to make that one day! All of that for about $21? sweet!!

Christy said...

I made one of these a while back and to hang it I stapled a piece of ribbon to the back to make a big loop. It looks really cute hanging from a nail on the wall.

Becky said...

Your board looks great! I love making these! Have made them with plyboard...also, with old bulletin boards. About to do a huge one from a bulletion board for our preschool office. Love the fabric you got!