Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back to school...soon!


I've always loved teaching at a multi-track year round school. We work the same amount of days as a traditional schedule, but the calendar brakes up the vacations a little differently. My vacations include: 6 week in the summer, 3 weeks in November, 3 weeks in March, 2 weeks at Christmas and all the other miscellaneous Monday holidays. The staff is divided up into 5 groups (A, B, C, D, E) and four are in session while 1 is on vacation. I like my schedule because while most of my co-workers started back to work on July 18, I don't "officially" start back until August 11. I like having the extra time to get my room ready, copy, organize, plan and research without rushing.

So far this summer I've:

* cleaned out all my files
* rearranged my classroom
* cleaned
* put up posters and bulletin boards
* created the staff duty schedule
* labeled MANY, MANY items (folders, charts, name tags etc.)
* organized grade book for new standards based report card
* collated and organized the student's data notebooks (portfolios)
* mapped curriculum for reading, math, science and social st.
* arranged fundraisers for my grade level
* planned the first unit in math
* planned the first unit in science
* planned the first unit in social studies
* created a personal history project
* created a continents and oceans project
* created a plant and animal cell project
* created an ecosystems project

I still need to:

* organize the science experiments table
* copy copious amounts of papers
* redo my lesson plan template for the principal
* create my strategic learning goals
* make classroom graphs for writing, spelling and math
* put my class list up outside my classroom
* create my professional development plan
* plan 6-trait writing lessons
* plan the first reading unit
* plan my spelling lessons
* put up 2 more bulletin boards
* miscellaneous paper work

I love getting ready for the new school year. I like collating papers, organizing schedules and creating projects. I like the smell of new text books, but I hate chalk (dries out my hands too much). I can feel my adrenaline rushing just thinking about it.

4 comments:

Amy said...

You have gotten a lot accomplished!

With my back surgery, I have not been able to get our books and papers, etc. organized....I hope next week I can get Shannon and the boys to do all of the heavy lifting of the books, and I'll just sit in a chair and point out where they need to go.:)

Sounds like you are an awesome teacher!
God Bless,
Amy:)

Jackie said...

I love how excited you get about your job...that's what makes you such an awesome teacher!

Mandy said...

I feel so much better now! I thought I was the only teacher in the world working during my summer. One of my co-workers actually told me to "get a life!" LOL I have been filing and planning all summer. (Mine is the full 2 1/2 months). Yesterday I went and did all my "beginning of year" shopping. That is how I get myself pumped up to go back!

JW Moxie said...

Interesting school schedule! I'm an 8th grade English teacher and today was our first day back. It seems like our summer went by so quickly! The students' first day is next Wednesday. Good luck with this school year!