Tuesday, June 3, 2008

If I could write a letter to me....


I heard this song today on the radio...If I could write a letter to me...by Brad Paisley, and I wondered...what would I say if I could write a letter to my 17 year old self...

To prove it was me I would say...
you hide your journal in the heating vent in the floor.

Then I'd say...
I know you don't like yourself very much and it never seems like you can do anything right (in your mother's eyes), but you are loved. Don't listen to all the negative talk. You are good just the way you are. You're a very smart, creative person.

You don't need a boy in your life to be ok. Be happy where you are now and enjoy your life for what it is. Don't study so much and have a little fun. Go swimming at the river more and join the ski team.

Scott is a good guy, but he won't be around for long, so go with him to the prom. Mark plays for a "different team" anyway.

The girls aren't as sophisticated as you think. You wouldn't want to be like them if you knew them the way I do now. Don't start smoking (the cigerette companies lied), stay in ballet and dance class (ballroom becomes amazingly popular), drive across country and when given the chance, go to Italy. Don't live your life being afraid of what others will think.

Live on your own first. You'll really love your first apartment. Listen to your brother, Kent, Mathew is not the right guy to marry. You don't need another father figure. You should see the guy you marry later, he's amazing!

You may not like the big frizzy hair and braces you see in the mirror, but by twenty, you end up looking pretty good. The studdering problem is taken care of too.

Spend a lot of time with Aunt Harriet, you'll be glad you did.

I wish you'd study computers, save your money and take a class in finance and Spanish. Don't worry so much and have a chat with God. He is listening.

If I could write a letter to me...

8 comments:

annieology said...

That was great.

Bri said...

Love Brad Paisley! I'm sure that was very theraputic for you! I may have to write my own version!

Mama Bear said...

I love that song - good letter to yourself! neat post!

Sheila said...

Love that song, too!

I think I'd say this:

Don't worry so much about your future. It's in God's hands. These are the years when you can really grow in God. Think about Him.

Don't worry about friends. One day you'll get to choose your church, your school, your workplace. You can't choose where you go to high school. If you don't fit in there, it's not your fault. One day you'll be in a place where you do fit in. Just get through these days, talk to God, and we'll make it through!

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

Mama Smurf said...

I LOVE this post! What a great idea! Maybe I'll borrow the idea in the future!

Melba said...

This is really beautiful!

LL said...

this is one of my favorite Brad's songs...great idea about writing your own letter.

Unknown said...

That's an awesome letter.