Thursday, September 20, 2012

WHAT WE WANT IN A NEW HOUSE


My husband and I are addicted to HOUSE HUNTERS, LOVE IT OR LIST IT and THE PROPERTY BROTHERS. After watching many hours of each of these shows, we have come to realize that people are very picky, get lost in the color of paint and how people have arranged their furniture, have tastes that way exceed their budgets, expect to get everything for nothing, don't know the difference between wants and needs and want their ideal house without putting forth any elbow grease.

We have very simple tastes. I have made a "need" list and a "would be great if we can find it" list.

We need:

3 bedrooms
2 baths (one with tub)
2 car garage
pantry
minimum of 1550 square feet

* My sister-in-law, Connie, reminded me....A GOOD SCHOOL, of course!

Would be great if we could find it:

no dining room (use this space as office or extra living area)
deep (trough like) kitchen sink
entrance from the garage next to the kitchen
eat in kitchen
finished basement
open concept
laundry room
mudroom
fire place
lots of storage
medium size yard or near a green space/park
don't need a pool, but would like area for a play structure for Sam
storage shed
dog run
near a pond or lake

Even though we aren't moving for 3 years, I am already looking on the REMAX site for homes in New Hampshire. We're realizing that we'll have more land then we have now. Even houses that are "next to each other" are spread way far apart compared to our neighborhood now. We will most likely have a basement, hardwood floors, a less open floor space and a mud room or sun room. We will also need a generator (for the hard winters...both my sisters had to get one) and we will have to take down a lot of wallpaper (I hate wallpaper!). Thank God we love Cape Cod and Colonial style homes.

4 comments:

Juli said...

We have discussed moving. My parents bought a house with some inheritance money and when the market rebounds they will sell the house they are in now. There is a house lot 3 doors down, with a foundation for a cape already poured. My brother lives on the corner of the street, my sister 1.5 miles away.

It would be ideal, but my heart is just not in it. Maybe we will be hunting together in 3 years... just in different states :) And the generator isn't a huge deal. Necessary, yes. Deal breaker, no.

Connie said...

Love those multi-story houses! But you forgot one big thing on your list...good school!

Calvin said...

Well, it is good that you got a list of the things that you need and want because that would be handy in speeding up the house hunting process. You might also want to add to your list a good neighborhood. After all, the neighborhood where your house is located will have a significant effect on the growth of your children.Well, it is good that you got a list of the things that you need and want because that would be handy in speeding up the house hunting process. You might also want to add to your list a good neighborhood. After all, the neighborhood where your house is located will have a significant effect on the growth of your children.


@Calvin Mordarski

Unknown said...

I agree with Calvin. Having a list of what you want in a house will surely help you narrow down your options. I would suggest getting professional help, which helped me I was in the same position a year ago. I gave specific preferences such as the size of the house, its features, and its location. Within a couple of weeks, they presented me with a lot of choices, and I must say I wanted them all. But of course, I had to choose the best one. I hope you find the house you’re looking for. Good luck, guys! :)

Kristopher Washington