Friday, May 18, 2012

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!


We've had a sliding door in here for years. We had to put the kind in that had a metal screen on the bottom so the dog wouldn't run through it (dumb dog) and the cats wouldn't try to climb it (dumb cats) and EVERY year, from so much use, it would come off the track....OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! So frustrating.

So, Richard and I decided to put a new, stronger one in...well...$74, 3 hours and many expletives later...we still didn't have a new slider because the house has settled and the track wasn't even any more and said door would not slide! Ugghh!

I took a trip to Home Depot (I asked them to come out and look at it, but they wouldn't) and their advice (usually good...but this time not...) was that we would have to pay a contractor much money to JACK UP THE FRAME!!!

There had to be an easier way and I knew who would have the answer.....

I put in a call to my wonderfully, handy brother, Mark....contractor extraordinaire! I explained the situation to him, over the phone no less, sent him a couple pictures (....get with the times, Mark...my phone pictures would have been so much quicker...but he can't get picture on his phone....how dare he...)...and VUALA (I know, French...my brother, Kent, would be so impressed...if he read my blog....ha ha....)! We took his advice....

1. found a reliable (they do not come cheap) handyman (my old one moved to Texas...how dare he...)
2. bought a swinging, screen door
3. build out the frame
4. painted
5. caulked


We have a new door (....$300 later....parts and labor)! It works, Sam can open and close it and it doesn't fall off!

AND BEST OF ALL, WE DIDN'T HAVE TO JACK UP THE FRAME!! YOU WERE WRONG HOME DEPOT!

2 comments:

Connie said...

We CAN get pictures...we just pay $.25 for each picture or text. Doing that until we pass $5 per month, and then we'll upgrade ;-)

Glad the door works well. Looks great!

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

We just installed a new storm/screen door, and it cost $100 more than we had planned. Seems to always go that way. I'm sorry to hear Home Depot was not helpful. My hubby is an operations manager at a store here in FL and tries to keep the customer happy. :-)