There are so many children out there that need FOREVER HOMES. There has to be a way to make it easier, cheaper and still be safe for the kids.
First of all, the FOSTER CARE system needs a totally OVERHAUL! I have nothing good to say about this system. Maybe we'll tackle this topic when we get to the letter F.
The next part of this puzzle is the fact that parents that have their children naturally are never put under the scrutiny adoptive parents are. They are certainly not required to lay their lives open as adoptive parents are. I really have no problem with the security checks, medical scans, fingerprinting and questions about every aspect of my life. If they were...children living in poverty, addicted to drugs or abused would virtually be obsolete.
Those thinking of adoption certainly need to do their home work:
* Research your options and what it will entail.
* Don't feel threatened by the birth parents.
* Be capable of discussing adoption with your children.
* Be sure the adoption is totally ethical.
* Be willing to just walk away to put your needs second to the child's.
* Be willing to embrace a culture that does not match yours.
My only real problem with the adoptive process is that it is totally financially inaccessible. Who else has to put out $20,000 to $60,000 just to bring their child home?