I just got this book in the mail. I've wanted to read it since I heard her speak on Jon Stewart. I just opened the inside flap and read this:
"Ravitch includes clear prescriptions for improving America's schools:
* leave decisions about schools to educators, not politicians and businessmen
* devise a truly national curriculum that sets out what children in every grade should be learning.
* expect charter schools to educate the kids who need help the most, not to compete with public schools.
* pay teachers a fair wage for their work, not "merit pay" based on deeply flawed and unreliable test scores.
* encourage family involvement in education from an early age."
Diane Ravitch was Assistant Secretary of Education and Counselor to Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander in the administration of President George H. W. Bush and President Clinton appointed her to the National Assessment Governing Board, which oversees federal testing. I think she is brilliant! Not that teachers haven't been saying the things listed above for years....but maybe now others will listen. I'll keep you updated!