Friday, April 22, 2011

ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO EAT THAT?



Have you seen Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution show? I've only watched it a few times, but I think every parent, every teacher.....ok EVERYONE, should sign his petition. When was the last time you saw or TASTED a school cafeteria lunch?

THEY ARE DISGUSTING!

1. I wouldn't give my dog the stuff my students have to eat.
2. It's even worse then going to a fast food place every day.....that stuff may not be good for you, but at least it's edible and has some flavor.
3. No way does this stuff follow the food pyramid.
4. They give the kindergardeners' the same amount they give the 5th graders and the teachers (if you are desperate enough to buy a tray....).
5. They should just call the room they prepare the food in, a reheating station, because they would actually have to cook something, once in awhile, to be called a kitchen.

In our school we serve both breakfast and lunch.

The breakfast usually consists of: toast, milk or juice (A lot of times the milk and juice are still frozen when they serve it. Have you ever tried to drink a frozen milk?), cereal, and another bread product, like: frozen waffles, frozen pancakes, frozen sticky buns or a muffin. I don't think I have ever seen a fruit (besides the juice) even offered for breakfast.

Lunch choices include: main dish...(cardboard) cheese pizza, corn dogs, frito pie, grilled cheese sandwiches (sounds ok....but they are usually cold and hard)....a fruit (from a can)/vegetable....fruit cocktail, salad (a bunch of lettuce), or maybe an apple....then the something else category....popsicle, french fries, bun, or tator tots.

Now don't go crazy and expect all these amazing choices every day. They are drawn out over 5 days and then repeated...week after week....after week after week.....after week.

2 comments:

Jacksmom said...

Yup, I signed that about a year ago when I watched Jamie Oliver on TV trying to change even one school. Disgusting. BTW, just gave you a blog award, so pop over to my blog and pick it up. http://ourlittlefamilysjourney.blogspot.com

Connie said...

I actually had the fish sticks a couple of weeks ago. Soggy, but not too bad! The worst thing to me is the waste. A horrifying amount is just thrown away.