At school this year we have to do our mandatory training on the computer. At least we don't have to waste staff meeting time or have an extra meeting. Instead we have to log into the districts website and listen to 5 videos and then take a 10 question test for each one. I have to then pass the test with an 80% to say I have completed the training. Here are titles of the trainings:
CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT
CIVIL RIGHTS/SEXUAL HARRASSMENT
BULLYING BEHAVIOR PREVENTION
My problems with these trainings:
(1) I have to do these trainings EVERY YEAR!!!! I have worked for this school district for 21 years...do they really think me so dense that I need to hear the same information EVERY YEAR!!!
(2) Most of this stuff is COMMON SENSE.....Don't touch any body fluids, wash your hands, I have to report child abuse or neglect (By the way, I'd do this no matter what the "rule" was....and I'd hope all of you would too.), report threats of suicide, you can't discriminate against anyone because of race, religion, ethnic group etc, etc....,
(2) In the UNDOCUMENTED STUDENTS training, I learned that I would be violating a law if I report that I know someone is an illegal citizen. Illegal does mean against the law, right?
(3) I will violate FERPA rules and regulations if I leave my class list or my grade book on my desk. How many of you teachers leave yours out?! No comment!
(4) I get to work at 6:15 a.m., but the silly website won't let you start taking tests until 7:00 and then after 8 a.m. it shuts you out until 3:00 p.m. So, even if I have prep time or something I can't get any of these silly tests done. I still have the ones on CIVIL RIGHTS and BULLYING to complete. There's bound to be some new, insightful information in these two, right?