Tuesday, March 2, 2010


A lot has happened in the past 3 days. My mother had a stroke on Saturday and this is how she looked today.

We were so, so scared on Saturday and feeling so blessed today. The doctors and nurses have been unbelievable kind, patient, and helpful. I know it's their job, but they are truly wonderful people who honestly care. They field phone calls 4-5 times a day from us, asking how Mom's is doing, they answer all our questions and have been upbeat and positive the entire time.

Mother is able to feed herself, brush her own teeth and walk without aide. She's looking forward to the removal of the wires and intravenous tubes, though. They get tangled and bother her a lot. The droopiness in her face is even gone. Her blood pressure and heart rate are also under control. Doctor David is very pleased with these numbers. Her coumadin level still isn't where they want it to be, so her stay will have to be extended a few more days, but she is in the best place possible.

The only lasting effect seems to be related to speech and memory. On Saturday, Mother couldn't name a pen or a watch, the year was 1957, she thought she had been in a car accident and she couldn't say, "no if ands or buts." Today, she knows it's 2010 and that she had a stroke, can say, "no if ands or butts," with only a slight slur, but still has trouble with object titles (nouns) and peoples names. Short term memory has been affected too, such as remembering what she ate for breakfast. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only been 3 days and the nurses say that with time and some speech therapy she will do a lot better.

We have been able to laugh again. When Doctor David asked her how many years she's been married, my father piped up with, "She didn't know that before she had the stroke, why would she know it now?!" We all had a good laugh over that one and to my mother's credit, her answer was in the right decade.

Mom does seem very calm and says she feels great, but it will be so nice when she's in her own home again. My father is feeling much better too. He laughs a lot and his face lights up when he sees Mom awake and alert. Don't they look cute together?!

I've always loved having a big family, but at times like this it is especially wonderful. My three sisters and I talk multiple times a day (crying on each other's shoulders when we need to...) and the four brothers and four husbands have been our strength and support. My parents also have many wonderful friends who have called and visited, offering to cook meals, or any other task we might need help with. My personal friends have been amazing too. The e-mails and phone calls have really lifted my spirits.

We have been so blessed and God is carrying us though it all!


Melba said...

They do look very cute in that picture...her eyes are shining and bright, even with the hospital in the background.

It sounds like she's doing great considering the stroke only happened three days ago. Still though, I can understand why it's difficult for all of you. What an amazing support system you have!!

I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.


Lana said...

It sounds like your mother is doing great, all things considered. Your parents look so wonderful together! I hope that your mom makes a very speedy recovery and is able to return home very soon.

birthmothertalks said...

It's wonderful that she is improving. I hope with time she will be back to normal.

BB said...

Your parents are the cutest! Glad to hear she is doing better!!

(Erica) Rebel With.A.Cause said...

I agree with BB, your parents are to cute!! I am so relieved to hear that she is doing so well.... My grandfather did the same thing when i was pregnant with Lauryn... had a stroke, and then just wowed everyone with his recovery!!