Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"A" vs "AN"


The show SHARK TANK is not the topic of this post. What happened on the most recent episode is. On this show, entrepreneurs present their business models to these five MILLION/BILLIONAIRES who then decide whether they will invest in their ideas.

I just watched Sunday's episode and saw this written on someone's presentation board: A Amazing Woman. Does anyone see anything wrong? "A Amazing"....? no that should be "An Amazing." I was appalled!

Another one that really bothers me is when I see "your" and "you're" used incorrectly. It is not "you're dog" it's "your dog" and it's not, "Your going to the zoo," it's "You're going to the zoo."

Please don't bombard me with comments telling me all the mistakes I've made in spelling and punctuation. I know I make mistakes, but not on national television when I'm wanting these rich people to invest in my idea. You couldn't find the time to proofread!?

How about, "it's" and "its?" You'll get a gold star from the teacher if you can show me how to use these correctly!

4 comments:

Bri said...

Yes, we all make mistakes, but it is still annoying! My biggest issue here is There, They're and Their.

Morgan said...

I know I'm guilty of careless mistakes, but I know my rules (spelling, not always) and if I spot it, I can correct it.

It's is the contraction of "it is." So you would say: It's sunny out today. Its is the possessive pronoun form of it. And I can't seem to think of an example for that right now.

Kris said...

I like that show, but I don't get to see much of it, typically. I can't believe that SOMEONE would not have told the person there was an error! I would have had it PROOFREAD a MILLION times by a MILLION people if I was going to make a presentation on national TV to make sure it is right...geez.

Becky said...

These same things bother me as a teacher too!! My son is in 4th grade and they have been working on these very things lately!

The tree lost its branches in the storm.

It's a wonderful time for a cup of coffee!