Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Whole poop, nothing but the poop: Toilet train early

My mother brought over a newspaper article today by John Rosemond and I realized that I got a book by him, that I haven't read yet, as a gift. After reading this article I've decided to read the book.

Basically he thinks it's crazy to wait until your child is "ready" to potty train. This is the advice he gave one woman:

He says it is not psychologically harmful nor impossible to toilet train a child younger than 2.

1. Stop talking to your son about using the potty. Don't even ask, "Do you want to try and poop in the potty today?" or other equally counterproductive questions.

2. Get rid of the diapers, pull-ups and all associated things and resolve to never use them again.

3. Every day, right after your son eats a high-fiber breakfast, gate him in the bathroom, naked from the waist down, and tell him his doctor said he has to stay there until he poops in the potty.

4. Don't stay in the bathroom with him. Don't offer incentives or even encouragements. After putting him in the bathroom, make yourself scarce. Simply tell you son to call you when he poops or if he needs help.

5. Respond "coolly" to success, as if it's no big deal. Say no more than "That's good, you can come out now." Do not give a reward or even lots of praise.

6. Gate him in the bathroom every day until he's having regular bowel movements in the potty.


VERY INTERESTING!

5 comments:

M/J Granata said...

Tracie... I will have to read more about that one. I have to say, I don't love the idea of gating the child in the bathroom...??? But, I am no expert... and I don't have any children yet!!! So, I would love to know about the book and what you are thinking you might do when you prepare to toilet train Samuel.
Have a great day! Please say a prayer that our closing and move goes well on Friday! Thank you!!!!

Kris said...

Boy, he has come up a lot in various places for me lately. So far, what I've seen, I don't like. From what I understand, he believes we shouldn't parent adopted children any different than bio kids. And believes to say otherwise is ridiculous. Well, I understand where he is coming from. That works for some adopted kids, but others it doesn't--especially ones who have spent time institutionalized. And research backs that up. So, I guess I'll go with the extensive research over his opinion. Personally.

So, needless to say, he's not going to be on my parent reading list anytime soon.

Christy said...

Interesting thoughts, but after going through the process and seeing how my child responded to things, I'm not sure I agree with his cold approach. Every child is different and if this works for Samuel, then great, but I am a big believer in positive reinforcement. We didn't even have to use it that long before he was doing it on his own, not expecting the praise. It worked for us. You don't want to make potty-time feel like a punishment.

Melba said...

I guess I just don't understand what the rush/obsession with this is in our society. It seems to me that we are desperate to force our little ones to grow up fast, fast, fast...just like everything else we do! I'm sure this guy has some valuable insight, and it's certainly one perspective on the topic, but I personally don't understand why there is such a need on the part of parents/ care givers to rush the whole process.

Just as an aside, the infamous child development professor I keep mentioning said that studies have shown that children who are potty trained too early have higher occurrences of UTI and bladder infections over their lives. I don't know the specific research she was quoting, but she's a PHD in child development, so I trust what she has to say.

Melba

Anonymous said...

I read that article too. It's about a child who is much much older than 2 and is having "issues" with the potty. The child is nearing school age and still in diapers I beleive... That being said... while I think it's good to potty train before they get used to the feeling of a dirty diaper.. your going to cause yourself an awful lot of heart ache if your son isn't ready at 18 months. My daughter wasn't day trained intil around 20 months or so, and she still will wet the bed if she's sound asleep. She's 2.5.