Thursday, February 12, 2009

Update: Taxes and 2nd Post-Placement Visit

I never thought having my taxes done could be so relaxing. I left the house ALONE! Leaving Sam home in Richard's very capable hands and went across town to get our taxes done. I drove the entire way in complete silence!

I even treated myself to a Carmel Macchiato at StarbucksHOW GLORIOUS!

We're getting back a little money, but found out that we can't claim Sam as a dependant or get the tax credit for adoption until next year because the adoption isn't final. The good news is, over time, we should get close to, if not all, of the adoption costs back. The government gives themselves 10 years to pay this back, but our tax guy said it should only take us 2, possible 3 years.

In the afternoon we had our 2nd (AND LAST) post-placement visit by the adoption agency. It went very smoothly and we just chatted about the changes we've seen in Sam, his development and what his eating and sleeping schedule is like.

That evening Richard snapped this photo of me dozing off after feeding Sam. Could his cheeks be any chubbier!?! It was a good day!


Debbie B said...

Congratz on finishing your post placements. We didn't have our last until 6 months. Different states I suppose.

That's odd that you can't at least claim his as a dependent. I did find out that rule about not until it's finalized though, bummer. Also found out you can only claim what you paid for the past two years.

He's getting so big.

happymomof2 said...

Oh my goodness I just loved that photo of the two of you sleeping. He is so adorable, love those cheeks:)

Annie said...

Chubby chubby cheeks. So sweet. He's getting too big. Sorry you have to wait for your adoption rebate. You should be able to claim him though since he was legally placed prior to the end of the year and spent his entire life in your home. We've been claiming the kids all along even though they aren't finalized. Let me consult my IRS rules regarding and get back to you....a lot of times preparers don't understand the intricacies. I'll get you IRS codes.

TXMom2B said...

You can claim him as a dependent, but you'll have to act fast. Go to the IRS website and print out the form for the Adoption Tax Credit ID Number. You fill out the form and send it in. The IRS sends back a number to use in place of his SSN. That is how you claim him. You can't start getting the tax credit yet, but at least you can get the standard new-baby deduction.

Check either Debbie B's blog or my blog and look for the ATIN posts. That has links to the correct forms.

I think that, even if they send back the number too late, you can still get the deduction retroactively. I've done that before. You just file a correction. So just fill out the form, send in the form plus the required paperwork, and you'll be fine.

Ashley said...

Yep, check IRS website for that form!! We got a temp ID for Declan so we can "write him off". ;)

Melba said...

That is a sweet picture! I'm glad you got to have a little time for yourself...and getting money back is always a plus! :)


Kris said...

Those are some SERIOUSLY chubby, glorious cheeks! I'm such a sucker for chubby cheeks. An amazing photo you will always cherish---sleeping with your son.

Darcie - Such The Spot said...

I know how precious those alone trips can be...even if it is just to get your taxes.

That boy of yours is such a cute little man. Such squeezable cheeks!