Sunday, January 18, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BFF!

We never had the term "BFF" when I was growing up, but if we had, Elisa would have been it. Elisa lived 3 houses down from me in our little town of Lincoln, New Hampshire. Her house seemed so far away when I was little. We went to school together from Kindergarten through 12th grade. She was one of the "cool" kids and I felt "cool" because she let me hang out with her.

She had a germen shepard, named, Gretchen, that I was terrified of, and she had rabbits, at one time, too. We only had a cat, so I was jealous. She also had a little stream that ran behind her house that we would ice skate on. Her dad drove the school bus so I would call her house on stormy, winter mornings to see if we would have school. I always assumed he made the decision because he drove the bus. Elisa and I also had braces at the same time. We went to the same orthodontist (an hour and 1/2 away), so my dad and her mom would take turns bringing us to our appointments. We always got to stop at McDonald's afterward. What a treat!

We spent our childhoods together skiing, having sleep-overs and birthday parties, gossiping, tormenting teachers, having treasure hunts, being alter servers at our church, dreaming of boys and doing homework together. She had great clothes, took trips to Florida and was more of a rebel then I was. She seemed so bold, brave and grown up to me. I think our differences are what drew us together.

She has always had such a bubbley personality and an infectious laugh. She has an amazing heart and has become a great wife and mother. I don't get to see her much, now that I live in New Mexico and she lives in Florida, but when we do get together it seems like no time has passed at all.

HAPPY 41st BIRTHDAY, ELISA! I LOVE YOU!

No comments: