Wednesday, August 27, 2008

M&M MATH


I have teamed up with a kindergarten class and every Wednesday we get our two classes together to do activities. We call it READING BUDDIES, but we do much more than just read. Sometimes we make books, create art projects, play games etc. Usually we go to the kindergarten room, but on the last Wednesday of the month, I plan the activity and they come to our 5th grade room. Today we did M&M MATH.


Each kindergarten kid gets their VERY OWN 5th grade buddy. They think this is great! The 5th graders are the oldest kids at the school and the kindergarten kids think they are COOL! Anyway, each pair gets a direction page that explains what they are to do with their M&M's. The 5th graders read and guide, while the kindergarten kids count, color and add.


Then they graph their results. It's a great opportunity to develop the little one's vocabulary, while working to improve the 5th graders self esteem, by being able to teach. Even my lowest kids can feel successful. Both the 5th graders and the kindergarten kids look forward to READING BUDDIES! 

I have worked with this same teacher for 15 years. So now, the 5th graders I get, remember being the kindergarten kids 5 years ago. At the end of the year we go to the zoo together and have a party.

Sorry, there are no action shots, but I got so wrapped up in the activity I forgot to take other pictures.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds like fun!:)

And I love M&Ms! I'm sure that they make learning fun.:)

God Bless,
Amy:)

Jackie said...

That's awesome! I can imagine how cool the kindergarteners feel. :)

Becky said...

I loved having Kinder Buddies with my older students! And of course we loved doing M&M math!

annieology said...

The reason I didn't do well in college, no M&M masth. We do M&M attachment exercises.

Michaele Sommerville said...

My kindergarten students get to meet their fifth grade buddies for the first time this week! They are so excited! We do either M-n-M math or write our version of "Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See" for our first visit-

Their teacher is another-new-to-the-district hiree like myself, so we'll enjoy the time together too!