Friday, August 29, 2008
Cosleeping...NOT for me!
I found this article today on cosleeping. The more I read the more I know that cosleeping is NOT for me.
* encourages breastfeeding by making nighttime breastfeeding more convenient
* makes it easier for a nursing mother to get her sleep cycle in sync with her baby's
* helps babies fall asleep more easily, especially during their first few months and when they wake up in the middle of the night helps babies get more nighttime sleep (because they awaken more frequently with shorter duration of feeds, which can add up to a greater amount of sleep throughout the night)
* helps parents who are separated from their babies during the day regain the closeness with their infant that they feel they missed
* 121 of the deaths were attributed to a parent, caregiver, or sibling rolling on top of or against a baby while sleeping
* more than 75% of the deaths involved infants younger than 3 months old
* suffocation when an infant gets trapped or wedged between a mattress and headboard, wall, or other object
* suffocation resulting from a baby being face-down on a water bed, a regular mattress, or on soft bedding such as pillows, blankets, or quilts
* strangulation in a bed frame that allows part of an infant's body to pass through an area while trapping the baby's head
* sharing a bed with a baby can sometimes prevent parents from getting a good night's sleep
* infants who cosleep can learn to associate sleep with being close to a parent in the parent's bed, which may become a problem at nap time or when the infant needs to go to sleep before the parent is ready
THESE NEGATIVES ARE SOME MAJOR NEGATIVES...AND EVEN A SMALL CHANCE THAT SOMETHING COULD GO WRONG, IS ENOUGH OF A CHANCE FOR ME TO SAY NO WAY TO COSLEEPING!
I'LL FIND OTHER WAYS TO BOND WITH MY BABY, ONES THAT WON'T POTENTIALLY CAUSE HIS DEATH!
SORRY, COSLEEPERS, I AM NOT WITH YOU ON THIS ONE!
Labels: In My Opinion