Friday, June 27, 2008

I Give You Back Your Child


I give you back your child, the same child you entrusted to my care last fall. I give him back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible and more mature than he was then. Although he would have attained this growth in spite of me, it has been my privilege to watch his personality unfold day by day and marvel at each new achievement, each new success, each new expression of self. I give him back reluctantly, for having spent this school year together in the narrow confines of a crowded class, we have grown close, have become a part of each other and we shall always retain a little of each other. We have loved, laughed, played and studied. Learning enriched our lives together this year. I wish it could go on indefinitely, but give him back I must. Take care of him for he is precious and only one of a kind.

Remember that I will always be interested in you child and his destiny, wherever he goes, whatever he does, whoever he becomes. His joys and sorrows I'll be happy to share. Please call me if there is anything further I can ever do for him.
___________________________________________
This is the poem I sent home to my children's parents, with a picture of us at the top. I do not know who the author is.

2 comments:

Mama Smurf said...

I love that...beautiful!

Jackie said...

That's beautiful...right from the heart.