Monday, April 1, 2019

DECLUTTERING YOUR LIFE

Last month my friend, Penny and I decided to declutter our homes of unwanted items. For the entire month we got rid of the amount of items that matched the date. March 1st, 1 item; 2nd, 2 items; and so on, until on the 31st we got rid of 31 items in one day, bringing our month's purged items to 496 total. 496!!! WOW!

It was easy at the beginning of the month, but in the last 5 days it got harder and harder. So, I went on Pinterest to get ideas of things to declutter. I came across posts on Minimalist Living and The KonMari Method. I did use many of the ideas that I came across. I especially felt drawn to only keeping things that bring you joy, being able to save money and helping others in the process.

I understand how daunting it can seem, but if you are the least bit interested in doing this in your life, I'm going to take you through how I did it, offer tips and tricks and give you a safe place to ask questions and not feel judged.

Here is what I want you to keep in mind:

1.
Even if you just get rid of one thing, that's one thing less than you had yesterday.

2.
Some days life gets in the way, it's ok. If you make it something you hate or it makes you feel bad about yourself you'll never keep it up. Leave it alone and come back to it another day.

3.
Every journey is a chance to learn something new. Maybe it takes you a year or more.....that's ok. Everyone's journey is different.

4.
Having someone to share your struggles, as well as your successes, with can make all the difference.

5.
Put on some music, grab some boxes and decide it's time to have less stress and less stuff in your life.

As we journey together through this, feel free to ask me questions about your particular struggles, share your successes or ask for posts on specific topics. Also know that I am not done. I continue to tweak how I have things set up, and some of my projects that I started last month are far from over.

Note: Is it unclutter and declutter? I looked it up and you can use both!

Now let's get started!






2 comments:

JT said...

WOW! 496 items!!!!!!!!! I need to do this! I think it would make my life simpler and then we move it'll be easier to pack up. Maybe i will do this, this month.

Mali said...

I meant to start this at the beginning of the year. Nope, still not started. Maybe today?!

Last year I attempted the 2018 things in 2018 challenge - it was going well for a few months, then I got distracted. Maybe you'l be able to convince me not to get distracted!