Saturday, May 18, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND MOTHER'S DAY!

Mom celebrated her 90th birthday the day before Mother's Day. All eight of us surprised her by attending the big event. This is our family home in Lincoln, New Hampshire.
From left to right: Me (#8), Genie (#5), Kurt (#1), Mark (#6), Kent (#2), Karen (#3), John (#7) and Mary Kay (#4). There's a 20 year difference in ages between Kurt and I.
Here we are when I was about 10 years old. I'm in the very front with my nephew, Scott. Dad is in the middle on the back row and Mom is in the front row with Grandma and Great Uncle Bert (her brother). It makes me laugh because in this one all my brothers still have hair.
It was a little rainy that weekend so we spent most of our time talking....
.....eating.....
....eating.....
....drinking....
....telling stories....
....laughing....
....eating....
.....laughing....
....being silly....
....telling stories.....
....being silly....
....and laughing.
Here is my beautiful mother as we sang Happy Birthday to her.
We put up old photos of her and Dad on the walls all around the house.
My brother-in-law, Andy, made some crazy ones on the computer. She's looking at one of herself in a nun's habit and holding a cigarette. When she saw it she said, "When did I do that?"
Here's one of her with a couple of girlfriends from high school.
Then we put a crown on her head and presented her with....
....a birthday cake.
Make a wish!
Gorgeous cake!
We were all happy to help her eat her cake.
Her big gift was a book my sisters put together of questions we all answered. We retold stories of things that happened to us when we were kids, like what we did to push Mom over the edge (You have to understand that my Mom was/is very patient and it took a lot to finally push her over the edge.),  a special memory around food and what Mom taught us.
She loves chocolate!
Did I mention she loves chocolate?!
Mom loves to laugh and we love making her happy!
My favorite picture of the weekend.

We all went to church together, played a lot of games, told a lot of stories, visited with friends, had great food and just enjoyed being together. With 8 siblings, all their husbands and wives, 17 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren (that's 39 not counting cousins and such), scattered all around the country, it's hard getting us all together. Only 18 of us made it to this event, but we had a blast!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND MOTHER'S DAY, MOM! I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

MtnGirl said...

Your mom looks incredibly awesome at 90 y/o! It looks like you had a wonderful time!