Thursday, June 7, 2012

BECOMING A BETTER ME....part 9

Let us not love [merely] in theory or in speech, but in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity). ~ 1 John 3:18

I LOVE PEOPLE AND I ENJOY HELPING THEM.

In the past I have been very selfish and self-centered. My focus was on what others could and should do for me, rather than what I could do for them.

This all changed when Sam came along. I had this little, marvelous creature, that God was trusting me with and I had to give it my all. Every morning now I ask God to show me what I can do for somebody else that day.

I like having a lot of time to myself. The more the better. This is one way Richard shows me he loves me, by giving me time to myself, even if it's just going grocery shopping by myself.

For Richard, it's noticing the things be does: vacuuming, taking out trash, etc. I have to really work at this because it doesn't come naturally to me.

I am making a real effort to notice when others need something. It could be as small as letting people into the traffic lane, listening to their stories, encouraging others, calling people, picking things up that are dropped etc.

Sam feels love by spending time with him....not time grocery shopping with him, but time reading books, watching him throw a football or noticing when he succeeds at something.

Real love, as we all know, has little to do with gooey emotions, but has everything to do with how we treat people. Real love is not a theory; it's action.


I'm not where I need to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be! God is so good!

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

Hello Tracey, I found your blog through another blogger. I could relate to this post and found it very encouraging. I love your closing statement ... "I'm not where I need to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be! God is so good!"... and couldn't agree more. God bless you. Love and care, Kerrie

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

I think we're ALL selfish until we have kids. By necessity, it forces us to (at least) second place in our own life. And that's a GOOD thing! Your Sam is so cute...reminds me of my youngest when he was that age.