Thursday, July 14, 2011

THE MAKINGS OF A CLASSROOM

I like to have one day just to set up the classroom environment.

At the end of the year we have to move all the furniture away from the walls and off the tile, so the janitors can vacuum and wax the floors. This is what met me at 8:15 this morning.

An hour later, not much visible progress, but I did get a lot of wiping down surfaces done....the yellow bulletin board will be for the calendar and next to it are the the cubbies where I store scissors, crayons, markers and such.

It's now 10:10 and I've decided to switch the layout and have the kids face a different wall then they did last year.

The table on the right will be for reading groups and the sheet in the foreground covers the computers that are in front of my desk.

Having the kids face this directions gives me more room to spread desks out and they wont be distracted when other kids are on the computers. The blue bulletin board will be for data and the yellow will be for Social Studies (Hopefully, I will be switching with another teacher and she will do the Science component.). The dry erase board on the left will be the homework board and my main teaching board will be in front of the overhead that is on the blue shelf.

This picture was taken just before I left at about 1:00 pm.

This picture was taken from the opposite wall and is facing back toward my desk in the corner. The computers also have to be in that corner for Internet access. The blackboard and white bulletin board on that side will be my math area. The yellow bulletin board will be for reading. I have a round table near my desk for working in small study groups. I got a lot done, which is a good thing. I want to spend next Monday and Tuesday making copies and finishing my planning and then Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are all training days.

Now I'm starting to get excited for the new year!

2 comments:

Ange said...

Looks great! When do the kids begin? I can't believe they haven't given you a Promethean Board! You of all teachers would love it tremendously! Good luck with the new group!
Angela Gurule

happymomof4 said...

WOW! You made lots of progress, looks great:) Glad you are excited for the new school year/ group of kiddos! When do you all start back- seems like the summer has FLOWN by!! I am so not ready for my kiddos to start school, my son will be starting preschool:( That is going to be a tough one for mommy!