Wednesday, July 8, 2009

ADOPTION ROUNDTABLE...WISH LIST

Heather at PRODUCTION NOT REPRODUCTION has posted the next topic for the ADOPTION ROUNDTABLE: Share your wish list for your open adoption(s).

We've had such a wonderful experience that I had to ask my husband for some suggestions too, but we could only come up with 3 wishes:

1. I wish that Samuel be happy with who he is and how he came to be part of our family.

2. I wish that "K" finds happiness in her future and knows she made the right choice.

3. I wish that our relationship with Samuel's birth family was closer and more comfortable.

I am so thankful for how this entire process has happened. From the minute my in-laws agreed to help us make this possible to now, it's been a dream. The paperwork seemed like a pain and there was a lot of anger having to jump through so many hoops, but it was all worth it. Our wait in the "active pool," was a breeze too...only 6 weeks. "K" allowed us to be at all the ultrasounds and even in the delivery room. I've felt like Samuel's mother from the minute I saw him. The hospital staff was welcoming and we were never made to feel like outsiders. We never had any worries that "K" would change her mind. From the day our little man came home, all our family and friends have embraced him as an equal and much loved addition to our family. No one has ever made any comments in the negative. In fact, most comments have alluded to how much he looks like my husband.

I know a big step, for most women, is getting past the point that they need to have a "biological" child. I was there too, but I wish I hadn't waited so long in choosing this direction. I wish more people would choose adoption. My life has been so blessed because of it.

1 comment:

Deb said...

So nice to hear you had to think hard about what to wish for.