Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Welcome To My Classroom

I spent all day, yesterday, in my classroom and I almost feel ready. I'll probably go in again tomorrow, just to put up a few more posters, make copies and finish miscellaneous paperwork.

This is the front of the room. I have the desks in learning groups. They face away from the door to better focus their attention.





This is the back of the room. We have 2 dry erase boards and 1 chalk board. I hate chalk. It dries out my hands badly, but the school district says we have to keep one chalk board. At least it's magnetic. I also have a sink in my room.


This is the command center. Actually, it's just my desk and all my planning manuels. I got the chair at a yard sale last year for $25. 





This is the other side, in the front. Those are computers covered in the back and an overhead projector covered near the front. 





This is the math area, where I chart their assessment results, post rubrics and write learning goals.






This is the writing area where I chart their assessments, post rubrics and have a pocket chart as a word wall. This is also where the reading teacher sits with her kids. I get an extra teacher during reading to work with the really low kids.


This is near the door. It's the calendar area, homework board, and a place to store paper, crayons and their data notebooks.





This is the reading area. I like a big open floor space where the kids can lie out and look at books. 






This is the science and social studies area. It's next to the reading area. You can see a large bucket of pillows for the kids to relax with. Our first unit in Science is on Biomes. At the end of the unit we go for a hike in the mountains, on the other side of the river. It's a very exciting day for the kids. We eat outside and usually they get to see bear or dear poop. Any kind of poop is a big hit with most kids. 

I hope you enjoyed your tour. Next time maybe they'll be some actual kids there. They start next Tuesday.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I did enjoy seeing your classroom..You look very ready!:)

And thanks for the laugh!:)
Poop is just always funny.:)

God Bless,
Amy:)

Melba said...

Good luck going back to school! Thanks for sharing this part of your life with us. As a prospective teacher it really helps me to get an idea of what others are doing and what ideas work best...I crave information!! :) Your room is lovely!

Melba

Bri said...

Another school year!

Unknown said...

Nice classroom tour...looks like you are ready for back to school...my beans start next Wed

I found your blog from allmed and enjoyed reading it

Mama Smurf said...

It's so neat to see where you work! Your classroom looks exceptionally organized and BIG! My son's classroom last year looked 1/2 that size and there were 35 kids crammed in it! Don't get me started on all the my "education crisis" rants!

I was so fed up last night watching the news. The Detroit Zoo is in a crisis and so they are voting on a millage that was passing by 80% vote as of last night...and yet people are up in arms about paying more to get our schools out of this crisis. I don't get it.

Becky said...

Looks like a spacious room!
Oh, you are making me miss teaching 2nd grade so much!!!!
Hope you get off to a great start! Just remembered you are year round.
We start Aug. 25th here.

KathleenSBass said...

Oh, this post made me miss my teaching days :( SO fun setting up the room and planning and preparing for the kids to arrive...LOVE that time of year! :) ENJOY every minute! :) The classroom looks GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're ready to rock and roll!