Friday, July 18, 2008

Worrying about my "baby"...say an extra prayer


So, I as I told you, Keene had her surgery on Monday to have two tumors removed, one on each thigh. On Tuesday we picked her up (20 minute ride one way) and all the vet said was not to let either dog lick her stitches. She slept most of the day, but ate fine and acted normal. The smaller wound looked good, but the bigger one looked very red and swollen (see picture).

Wednesday, I tried to take her for a walk, which the vet said was fine, and the big one started to bleed. It was very swollen too, but we figured that was normal. Anytime she lied down she'd leave a blood stain on the carpet. Thank God it comes up with cold water. I spent Wednesday trying to keep her lying down, but anytime she got up, it would start bleeding again. All this time she's eating and acting normal. She even wanted to play, which I kept her from doing, not wanting her to pull anything loose.

Thursday, I didn't take her for a walk, and it did look less swollen, but I finally called the vet (I didn't get to talk to him, but the information got passed on by the person that answered the phone.) and he said that the bleeding was "normal" and "to be expected." So, I just got a sponge and some paper towels and followed her around all day. It still bothered me and it didn't seem like the wound would heal if it was bleeding. I figured he must know what he's talking about and I'm just being too sensitive.

Anyway, today we got up and it did look less swollen, but still anytime she got up it would start to bleed. I confined her to her kennel for a few hours to see what would happen and I called the vet. I told them it was still bleeding, the area was red and the holes looked bigger...again the vet said, "That is normal. If it doesn't look better by Monday then bring her in. " After a couple hours the dog bed had soaked up some of the drainage and I was able to see 2 holes (the diameter a little smaller then a pen). How can a wound heal unless it's closed. I also saw white "stuff" in the holes. If I saw this on a human, I would say it was infected. This did not look good. (See picture above taken this morning.) I decided we'd both had enough and something definitely needed to be done before Monday. I took her back in.

I've been crying intermittently through this whole thing: feeling bad for her, feeling silly for crying and worrying about the money. My husband is so wonderful, trying to comfort me and telling me not to feel silly for worrying and "it's what moms do." He's so sweet.

The vet was in surgery when I dropped her off, but they said they'd call me when they new anything.
_______________________________________________

3:00 pm UPDATE:

Vet just called and Keene had pulled out two of her stitches and because it was open they put her on antibiotics. They want to keep her over the weekend and we can pick her up on Monday and then she has to stay in her crate, inactive, for 1-2 weeks. This should be fun!! Next time, Tracey, trust your "motherly intuition!" Thanks for the prayers.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

So sorry Tracey...praying that it will all work out.

Mama Smurf said...

I'm so sorry for your poor dog. That's awful. I hope you find her stronger on Monday.

Mama Smurf said...

Ya know...I recently switched my blog roll to the new one that updates recent posts and for some reason yours wasn't updating until today. I just realized that I missed like an entire week of your posts...I just figured you were on vacation again or something. UGH!

Nancy said...

I'm glad you took her back in. Sounds like she will be fine now.

Amy said...

Bless your heart! I know your pain very well.
I will pray for you and your baby.
God Bless,
Amy:)