Thursday, March 13, 2014

6 MONTHS INTO OUR NEW LIFE




Andrew is now 6 months old. WOW! It has flown by. We are still trying to find out our new normal, but we have settled into somewhat of a routine.

Richard does the morning shift with both kids (BLESS YOU!), so that I can get in the shower at 5 a.m. and leave for work at 6 a.m. I pick up Sam from preschool around 4, relieve the babysitter, who has been with Andrew, by 4:30 and then I start dinner (This is nothing amazing, sometimes just sandwiches, depending on how cranky Andrew is. It's hard to cook with one hand. Occasionally, I do crock pot meals or spaghetti on the weekends.). The bedtime routine starts around 7 and both kids are down by 8. A couple nights a week Richard is home by 6, but usually he doesn't get home until around 7:30 p.m. I am usually in bed by 9 p.m. Richard will take the first feeding shift with Andrew around midnight and I take the second one around 3 a.m. Sometimes there are three shifts, but most of the time there are only two (We got spoiled with Sam. He started sleeping through the night at 3 months old.).

SLEEP IS STILL THE THING WE DESIRE MOST! We need it desperately, but Andrew hasn't wanted to cooperate.


Samuel has adjusted amazingly well! He gets a little jealous at times and wants me to hold him, but he is really understanding of all the holding and attention I have to give Andrew. He is a great helper and loves his baby brother. Andrew loves sitting with him and watching him. Samuel can make Andrew smile and laugh easier than anyone. Samuel is almost finished with preschool and will start Kindergarten in the fall. What a BIG BOY!

I have had major stress around work and home. Finding balance has always been an issue for me, but even more so, now. I have cut back in a few areas. I no longer bring any work home. I figure if going in at 6 a.m. and leaving at 4:30 p.m., which is almost 4 hours above and beyond my duty day, isn't enough, then too bad. I do feel guilty sometimes, but I'm getting better. I am trying to be bothered less by my, less then clean, house too. I do surface chores (dishwasher, bottles, laundry) during the week and then on Saturday I do the big stuff (floors, vacuuming, grocery shopping, finances).

I don't know how my mother did it. At my age she had 8 children (ranging in age from newborn to 15), but (I love you, Daddy.) had no help with the kids and home from my father. He had a 9 to 5 job, paid the bills, did outside chores (mowed the lawn etc.) and did the grocery shopping and she took care of everything else. Richard usually deals with the dog, laundry for him and the kids, bathrooms, and garbage. He also cooks some too. He will also do feedings, diaper changes, doctor's appointments and running errands. He's a great Daddy and husband.

I can't wait for school to be over. Next year will be my 25th year teaching, but because of taking 2 months off (unpaid) when Sam was born, 6 weeks off (unpaid) when Daddy died, and 3 months off (unpaid) when Andrew was born, I'll have to put in 6 more months after that to make my school district happy and "really" be at 25 years. Then I can RETIRE and move to New Hampshire.

3 comments:

ArlenBrumlik said...

Tracey . . . Just in case no one has told you lately. Don & I think you are an amazing lady!!!
Sending ALL Our Love ~

Juli said...

I found that with the second, I HAD to give up and let some things go. And know what? It's okay.

No one cares that the laundry doesn't get done every day or every 3 days.... or that the trash needs to go out... or that my sink's got dishes in it. You do your kids a favor when they see you not try and do it all, it gives them the sense that it's OKAY not to be totally in control.

As for your mom... it was a different time, that's just the way it worked most often back then. Plus, I'm betting she didn't "work" out of the house on top of raising 8 kids.

Connie said...

You are both doing amazing work, and part of that is the great partnership you and Richard have!